Friday, December 7, 2012

Remembering Pearl Harbor

It's Friday! I just got back from a trip late last night and because of that, unfortunately, didn't have the time I wanted to write a more detailed and meaning post today about Pearl Harbor. I promise to eventually write a more thorough trip report with more pictures, but for this week's Flashback Friday, I still felt it important to dedicate this post and share some of my thoughts.

My last visit to Pearl Harbor was in 2011, on a last minute, spur-of-the-moment day trip over from Maui. I'd been there before and I know I'll go back again, but each visit is more and more special than the last. Every time I visit the USS Arizona I am truly humbled and silenced by the what went on there, yet amazed at the same time by how peaceful and truly beautiful that place is. The USS Missouri makes me incredibly proud to be an American, while other sites like the Bowfin and the Pacific Aviation Museum always teach me something new and interesting about our nation's incredible history. Of course, we can never forget the story of the Oklahoma, a ship who's history is equally as compelling as the Arizona's, yet is often overlooked because there isn't a big famous monument.

If you ever are on Oahu and get the chance to visit Pearl Harbor, do it! It is an amazing place and worth setting aside a day of your Hawaiian vacation to go see. To all those who lost their lives on December 7th, 1941, you will never be forgotten. For all those who served and continue to serve our country today, through times of uncertainty, both past and present, a huge mahalo and thank you for your commitment.

The USS Arizona Memorial as seen from the Mighty Mo.



No comments:

Post a Comment