Saturday, October 27, 2012

Dream On Dreamliner

United messed up my mileage run! What originally had been SMF-IAH-DEN-DSM-DEN-IAH-SMF got turned into SMF-ORD-DSM-ORD-SMF for a net loss of 1558 miles. When this little surprise of a new itinerary first showed up in my inbox, I didn't quite know what to do with it, so I turned to my friends over at milepoint for help. Do I call? I don't typically like to draw attention to myself when I mileage run. It's not like I'm doing anything wrong really, but look at a map...flying via Houston to get to Denver from the west coast is bound to raise a few eyebrows. Do I fly this new itinerary and try to hit MileagePlus up for the difference later? Risky. I called.

At first it took me a while to find new flights, especially with all the changes going on at United right now. It also didn't help that I was searching the wrong month when trying to recreate my journey (if you read the milepoint thread you'll get a better idea of what an idiot it am!). Anyway, once I got that straightened out, I came up with SMF-IAH-ORD-DSM-ORD-LAX-SMF, which is only about 400 miles shorter than the original. Not bad. Also not bad, the IAH-ORD segment was scheduled to be on the new Dreamliner 787. A quick phone call to my dad who agreed to donate a systemwide upgrade to the cause and I scored myself a BusinessFirst seat on United's newest and greatest aircraft! I was pretty excited...for like a day.

Haha. Just kidding!

The bad news- it turns out that delivery of 2 of the new 787 Dreamliners is being delayed so they won't be ready for this trip coming up in just a few short weeks. United made the announcement via Unitedhub.com (United 787 Dreamliner to temporarily fly domestic routes), milepoint, Facebook, and I assume FlyerTalk as well. The good news- I'm now flying on a 767-200! And yes, I'm being sarcastic. The real good news is they are allowing people to rebook, which I think is pretty cool. They also said they'd be contacting affected customers shortly and giving out a special 1-800 number. I'm still waiting on that one.

I was never even supposed to fly on the new United 787 Dreamliner, then I was, and now I'm not. So what do I do now? If I settle for Platinum status this year, which is looking like a definite possibility unless I want to spend every weekend between now and the end of the year on a plane, I don't actually need those miles right now. Do I dare call the dissappointed-Dreamliner-avgeek hotline and try to postpone this trip until January? You know I would! Unfortunately, it's not that simple. It turns out there are more schedule changes at United other than those affecting the 787 meaning and I would need to come up with a whole new mileage run, again. In other news there's a hurricane on the east coast so trying to call any airline at the moment seems like a really not-fun and altogether bad idea. It looks like if I want a ride on a brand new Boeing jet I'm might be out of luck this time. Maybe I'll just take the 767 flight and we can all pretend it's 1982.

My trip on the new 787 Dreamliner didn't even last long enough to get a screenshot.






No comments:

Post a Comment